In August, I hit the Third Sunday Market in our town. It's a very large flea market that happens....ou guessed it....the third Sunday of every month April through October. There are lots of fun finds, but sometimes things can be a bit pricey.
I have always admired ceiling tins. There are still a few buildings in our downtown that have these lovely architectural treasures, and I always marvel at them.
I was tickled to find a booth that had lots of them to choose from. I believe I paid $12 for it, which I didn't think was too bad. I had a vision for it, but it took several weeks to pull it off!
I wanted to frame the tin with pallet wood to give it something substantial to cling to, if you know what I mean! The edges are in pretty bad shape, very uneven, bent and mangled.
This Swanson Square is very handy when you are measuring and cutting. REALLY helps to mark a straight line and angles.
I love Ryobi! Their tools are so versatile and there are several that are small and fit nicely into my woman's hands. I sanded my sawed edges to get rid of the jagged edges.
Then trying to get these pieces all squared up was a challenge! Once I was satisfied, I put a little glue in the corners and clamped them together. After the glue was dry, I added some brads to the edges with a brad nailer.
I wasn't sure how to attach the tin to the wood frame, until I came across upholstery tacks. They would work perfectly to hold the tin in place and look semi-old!
Then I added a shelf to the bottom. This photo was taken in my husband's workroom. It is a wonder of oddities, tools, junk, and stuff you never knew you needed.
At this point in the process I was worried that the tin was a little dull and didn't show all the pretty colors, so I gave it a very light coat of poly to bring out the colors. I had a perfect spot for my finished work on the wall of our stairwell. I immediately added my little collections of old bibles and a vase from my grandma.
I'm really happy with the result.