Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Drowning: My Journey Through Depression - Part 5



Welcome!  I am glad you are here!  I am sharing a series about my experience with depression and anxiety.  Feel free to catch up with the first four parts of the series:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

After having a long internet conversation with my downloaded friend Susan, I knew it was time to get serious.  I had been drowning with this episode of depression and anxiety for well over 2 years by now, and I was just completely exhausted by the whole thing.  I'd never had an episode last so long or cut so deep.

I knew it was time to gather the elders of my church so that I could be prayed over.  If you aren't familiar with that, it's nothing weird, it is just a time to call the leaders of your church together to pray.  They pray diligently and specifically for a person during the prayer time, and then for up to 6 months afterward.

I got in touch with the elders to set up a time, and then invited my small group and several really good friends from church to join us.  Most in this group were aware of the struggles I had been having, but not all of the pastors and staff knew the depths of my struggle.  So we gathered together in a large room at church on Mother's Day, 2016.

It's a day that changed my life.

CHANGED. MY. LIFE.

I sat on a couch with dear friends who held my hands, girlfriends sat at my feet with their hands on my knees.  Pastors stood behind me with hands on my shoulders.   Friends gathered in a circle to surround me.  And my husband, always near, always supporting, always loving.  And they prayed.

THEY PRAYED.

Prayers were laid before the Throne of my King Jesus in ways I never could have expressed.  The Holy Spirit stirred prayers and petitions on my behalf that shook me to my core.  They denounced Satan and all of his lies, betrayals, doubts, tricks, and strongholds.  I was swept up into the holy arms of Jesus.  This crowd of beautiful, Jesus loving people lifted my heart and soul into the healing hands of God my Creator.

I wept the entire time.  I gave it all to Jesus.  I surrendered....again.

It was a sweet, sweet time.

I was humbled and oh so grateful.

I left church that day feeling as though a huge burden had been lifted from my shoulders.  Was I healed instantly?  No.  I knew God had so much more in store for me.  I could feel that this was just the beginning of our healing journey together.

For the next two weeks I was patiently waiting for my prayer retreat in North Carolina, where I would stay with Susan. During my wait, I started making a list of things that I wanted to pray more deeply about during my stay.  As I began writing, and my list grew, a new truth was revealed to me that completely caught me off guard.

I was stunned.



Join me next Wednesday for Part 6 of the series, Drowning: My Journey Through Depression.



Linking up today:

  Woman to Woman Ministries/

Women With Intention Wednesdays

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing bravely about a tough subject. Looking forward to the other posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your heart for sharing your story. You show me what Brave Faith looks like and it is a journey I will always be on. You have a beautiful friend in Susan. She is one of a kind and I love her dearly too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan IS one of a kind! Thanks for following along Mary. I still have lots to share!! This could be a 10 part series by the time I'm done!!!

      Delete
  3. Oh friend, I am so grateful you are writing your story. I've been prayed over many times for various things and always swept into the arms of Jesus. Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No place I'd rather be than in Jesus arms!!!

      Delete
  4. The power of prayer is amazing. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cherie, what a blessed time that must have been as the elders and close friends prayed over you. Wow! And now you've got me waiting for your next post with that cliffhanger. :) Many blessings to you, dear one.xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a privilege to be a small part of this journey. Love you my friend, and even though he barked a lot - Sam loves you too!!!

    ReplyDelete