Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The Dark Voice In Your Head



I've often spoken freely here about my struggle with depression and anxiety.  Recently anxiety has had me in a headlock!  Sometimes I can pinpoint the problem, but other times I really can't find the reason.

I recently decided to go back to get some counseling to see if I could find some answers.  I wholeheartedly support counseling.  I especially like that the counselor is someone I can talk to who doesn't choose sides, who listens intently, and helps me find the answers (as opposed to offering opinions on how to fix the problem!)

The issue of negative self-talk is a hot button topic.  It's one I have examined from time to time to see if I needed to check my own thoughts at the door.  So imagine my surprise when my counselor isolated words that I was using to describe a situation that was causing me stress.  I had unconsciously used the words stupid, guilty, pathetic, incompetent, and selfish.  Without even realizing it, I had used these words to describe ME.

{eyes.wide.open}

Would I ever use those words to describe myself to someone I had just met?  Absolutely not!  But somehow in my subconscious, those words were floating around.  And I thought I didn't have any problems with negative self-talk!

If these words are rumbling around in my head, with me unaware, no wonder I'm having problems with anxiety.  I am somehow failing to live up to my own mental measuring stick of my life!

To be honest with you friends, I am really quiet embarrassed.  To be quite transparent.....how can a woman of God allow her mind to go so far unchecked?  How could I allow, without even realizing it, Satan to twist my thoughts?  Well that is just how he works.....a sneak attack, slow and consistent so you don't even see it coming!

In 2 Corinthians, verse 4-5 Paul reminds us that our fight is not just against the world, but against spiritual strongholds as well:
"The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world.  One the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.  We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."
So what does this mean?

Paul recognized that Satan has great powers over us, but our power through Christ is even greater!  We can examine our thoughts against what the Bible has declared about every believer.

When I'm thinking I am not good enough, the Bible says I am perfect in Christ.  Hebrews 10:14 and Colossians 2:13.

When I am thinking I feel guilty, the Bible says I am totally forgiven and redeemed.  Psalm 103:12, Ephesians 1:7, Colossians 1:14, Hebrews 10:7

The Lord has been working on my heart for about two weeks now.  He's given me confirmation about several things, but I want to tell you about this one because He just revealed it to me as I was typing this post!  All week I have come across the word Redeemed through some devotionals, a message at church, and a bible verse.  I couldn't quite put it all together as to why He was giving me this word.  As I typed out the above example of feeling guilty {ahem}......it was a word I had used to describe myself!  God has called my attention to His redemption all week, and now I know why.  He was speaking to my heart all along and reminding me that I AM REDEEMED through the work of Christ.  There is no guilt in Christ Jesus, nor is it an attribute of God!

I want to share this chart with you.


This is such a great resource to have tucked inside your bible when you are feeling down.  I am going to spend some time "guarding my mind" this week by committing some of these scriptures to memory.  Would you like a copy as well?  Just click here and you can download this sheet from Dropbox.

Tomorrow morning I am going to get up a little earlier so that I have time to put on my Armor of Faith (Ephesians 6:13-17).  Who's with me?


6 comments:

  1. Beautiful, open and honest post Cherie. That list is great and I agree with you about putting on the full armor of God first thing each day. I also believe we need to pray without ceasing throughout our day and as I have begun to do this I find more peace throughout the day. I used to say my "big prayers" before going to bed but found that it often kept me awake because I was bringing to mind all the things or persons that needed help. So I began just saying a quick prayer of thanks while getting ready for bed and the big prayers in the morning to start the day. I am sleeping much better having done so. Psalm 91 is the Psalm given to me in a dream to confirm my salvation in 1979. It comes to mind often throughout my day. Blessings to you today and always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful resource! I hate it when I start listening to the voice of the deceiver. Thank you for the ammo :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Life Coach, I am ALL OVER that chart you shared! Where did you get that from so I can quote the source? What a POWERFUL message here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful - heart-felt - soul-searching and opening your heart! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your struggle and that chart! I'm going to download it now.

    ReplyDelete