Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Collage Paper and Fabric Fairy Dress

I've always loved the idea of faeries!  It is so magical, secretive and imaginative.  The other day I had the idea to create a fairy gown.  My goodness, once I got started.....whew...I couldn't stop!  I'll warn you right now, this is a photo heavy post, just in case you want to give it a try yourself.

This is my completed dress.  I do admit, it ended up being a bit bigger than I had imagined, but that's ok.  Next time I'll scale down.  This actually looks like it would fit a barbie size doll instead of a fairy!


So let's get started on the steps.  I used Distress Inks to color some pages from an old hymnal.


I bought this dress form with this project in mind.  I placed aluminum foil around the bodice so that when I started using Mod Podge, I could easily peal it back off.


So I started layering torn paper from the hymnal page to create the top.


Be sure to leave the back open so you can peal it off the form.


At this point I want to go out of order with my pics because I learned that I actually needed some extra paper once the dress portion was complete, so just add an extra strip to the end so you have room to make adjustments later on.


After the Mod Podge dried, it was easy to peel off.  Make sure it is dry first!


As you can see, it is holding it's own form nicely.


Next I cut up some pieces of a sewing pattern that I had purchased at the thrift store.


The longer you make your strip, the more you can scrunch it up.  This will be the bottom layer, to give the dress some body.


I took another strip of junk fabric and pinned it around the waist line of the dress form.  This will be my base to glue the pieces to.


Apply liberal glue so that it soaks through all of your tissue layers when you are gathering them.


This is what is should look like now.


Now I thought it was safe to take the stip off the dress form and lay it out flat to create the layers of my dress.



Adding another photo out of order.  I decided once I got farther into the process that I should have made the tissue layer the same length as the dress.  To correct that mistake, I simply cut another strip of tissue and glued it to the existing layer.



Now that my tissue layer is complete, I can start layering some fabric pieces.  I have quite the collection of old cloth napkins, lace curtains and old linens that I have collected from thrift stores and garage sales to use just for this kind of project!


So I just started layering pieces and playing around with the layers until I got something I was happy with.

I've added a couple of cute ephemera, a set of keys, a butterfly and now some feathers.  The feathers had a loop on the top that I didn't want to bulk up the waste line so I cut them off before gluing the feathers down.

And for some reason at this point I got so involved with the finishing process that I quit taking photos!  I glued the top and bottom pieces together. At this point I was using the hot glue gun.   I added a lace strip near the waist over the top of the feathers and to conceal the seam between the top and bottom pieces.  Then I added the ribbon strips for the shoulder straps and a cute little flower that matched the fabric and feathers perfectly!





This project took longer than I had anticipated, but it was a lot of fun.  Next time I think I will try a tiny faerie size dress. Whew!  

Linking with WOW us Wednesdays.

3 comments:

  1. Girl! I had to pin this. Just breathtakingly gorgeous. I am in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am totally impressed by your creation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now maximum teen age girl like fashionable dress. Not only girl but also boys like fashionable dress. Now i have good info for teenage girls and boys, getcustomessay.net writing service start working for teenage girls and boys !!

    ReplyDelete