Pages

Friday, February 27, 2015

Art Journaling: A Beginning

I have recently been exploring the world of art journaling.  You all know I love anything artsy, so it seemed like a logical fit with all of the other stamping, painting, crafting and scrapbook supplies that I already own!

I am usually inspired by worship songs that I am playing in my studio.  Sometimes a single line of a song can make an idea spring to life.  I love having this creative outlet.

Here are a few things that I have worked on lately.  It is so therapeutic!!








As you can see, I have been exploring all kinds of products and techniques.  I guess that it part of all the fun, eh?  The biggest lesson I have learned so far?  Gesso EVERY page, or you'll be sorry you didn't when you get to the next page! I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my...these are beautiful!!! I am a scrapbooker and card maker - and LOVE it...but just don't know how to begin this type of journaling.

    I have been seeing a lot about the Journaling Bibles; and other than highlighting passages (and I get carried away doing that!!) or underlining, haven't really attempted anything like art in a Bible...I LOVE these journals that you are creating as you listen to music or with Scripture!

    Excited to see more!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This kind of started after I was introduced to the bible journaling. I didn't feel like I had enough space to create even in a wide margin bible, so I started doing this instead. I feel a lot more freedom with the bigger space. Thanks for stopping in to visit!

      Delete
  2. Oh I LOVE this... I have just recently started a bit of art journaling as well - but I have been 'researching' and 'pinning' on Pinterest way more than I have just dove right in! LOVE these pages! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diving right in is what I did! I figured no great place to start then just experiment! It is very fun!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful, just absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I used to be so involved in many different artistic endeavors, but for the past 12 years or so it's been limited to writing, photography, and some crafts. You definitely inspire me to go back to my first love of drawing and someday hopefully sculpture and painting too. I love seeing your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Natalie! I'm having a lot of fun!

      Delete
  4. These are gorgeous! I came across art journaling on Pinterest and it looks like so much fun! I started pinning stuff but haven't really done much with it yet. I'm hoping to go on a retreat by myself this spring or maybe in late summer and if I do, I'm totally taking my art supplies and blank journal. What kind of gesso do you use? I know next to nothing about it and a casual search on Google reveals a fair amount of information. Apparently there's professional grade and student grade but it makes no mention of whether or not a particular grade is more suited to paper rather than canvas. Stopping by from 31 Days Survivors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just bought a medium priced canvas primer Gesso. I didn't know much about it to start with. It really helps the paints not bleed through the pages. Got mine at Hobby Lobby. Thanks for stopping in!

      Delete