Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Vintage Window - 31 Days of Junque Decor



Welcome to Day 2!  I'm so glad you are back.  Today I wanted to save an old window.  A friend of mine had many windows replaced this summer and she just knew I would want one.   She knows me so well!

I had found some barn wood at a sale a few weeks ago and I knew I wanted to combine these two into one project.  (Man, I wish I would have bought more....it is so hard to find!! Note to self for next time.)


Although the window is old, it wasn't quite distressed enough for my tastes, so I took the sander to it to expose more wood.



I then used just a tiny bit of stain to bring some darker color to the natural wood that I had exposed.  I just rubbed it on with a rag.


I pulled out some textured paste to add some more crackle.  Increase that age factor, don't ya know!


Then I was ready to add this beautiful barn board.  Swoon!


Since there is no good way to attach the two, I went with using a straight bracket through the back of both board and window.  Remember it is always a good idea to drill pilot holes.  This barn wood was very dry and needed a little extra TLC.


I wanted some pretty handles on my barn board to dress it up a bit.  It is so hard to choose!  First I was going to go with some pretty blue porcelain ones (that are shown in the first photo), but they were a bit too classy for this project, so I decided to go with the crystal.  I simply drilled a hole for the handles.


Since the screw on the knob was really long, we had to cut a bit of that length off.  Then Husband got in there to help me cut the keyholes on the back to be able to hang it.  I hadn't used the router before, so I was getting a lesson on how this worked.  Pretty cool really!



Then we were ready to hang it!


And show off all of it's distressed goodness!


Ta-da!  It is hanging over the piano in our living room.  You'll get to see how easy it is to make that banner a little later in the series, plus I'm going to add a little something else, but I'll save that for later too!


It really is very easy to turn something from junque to treasure.  You just need a little imagination!

Stayed tuned for Day 3 of Junque Decor.   Tomorrow we are going to re-purpose a rusty wire basket.

Day 1:  Pallet Table

2 comments:

  1. OMG this is just adorable!!! Love the banner too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only word that fits is "inspirational"! You're getting me excited to move and revamp our new home. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete