Pages

Friday, October 17, 2014

Vintage Box & Woodburning - 31 Days of Junque Decor


I can't seem to stay out of antique stores lately!  I think I might be hooked.  I don't go for the pricey stuff of course, I'm digging under tables looking for the junk that no one else wants...like this box.  And I just so happened to also find this rusty hinge for $1...score.  I love rust!


I knew exactly what I wanted to do the minute I saw the box.  A woodburned initial.  I'm sure you've seen the vintage boxes that are all the rage with the writing on the boxes, branding and such.  Whooo baby are they pricey!


You can see from the water mark that I first tried the transfer method of painting water on top of the ink, but I think I have the wrong kind of printer, cause that didn't work!

So you can see in the photo below, I colored in the inked F with chalk and then just rubbed it onto the wood with my fingers.  It was enough to see where I wanted to burn.  Remember you'll have to print your words or letters backwards.

Using a burning tool is pretty straight forward.  Just know that it gets really hot!  I had to move my hand a couple of times because it was almost too hot to hold.  It is either on or off, no temperature controls, so be careful.


My daughter A. was glad to help with photos!


So I got my hinge attached and my F is now burned into the side of the box.  Perfect!


I threw a few hydrangea in the box just for this pretty photo.  Not sure what job the box will have in the end. It may move around the house as needed....we shall see.  I love how it turned out.


Pretty nice piece for a total of $9!!

Have you ever tried woodburning?


Linking up today:

fridayfavsbasic200x

Shabby Art Boutique

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cherie- This looks great! What a perfect fine! Thanks for linking up and hope to see you again this week! laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I chose it as one of my features this week. I am so happy you linked up, stop by tomorrow at 5pm to come grab a button! I hope you link up again!

    Emily- Our house now a home

    ReplyDelete