Pages

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Refurbished Sewing Machine Cabinet - 31 Days of Junque Decor


I bought this old sewing machine at the Habitat Restore for $15.00.  Pretty good deal.  (Oh, that door behind it, a score from the Third Sunday Market.  Not sure what I'm doing with it yet, but it sure is a pretty background!)


I've never even heard of this brand of sewing machines.  I have no idea how old it is!


 Now we're left with an empty cabinet.  I'll take care of that later.


I decided to try Annie Sloan paints on this project.  I chose Paris Gray. I admit I did a very light coat because I only had a tiny jar of the paint.  OOOh baby it is expensive!


So after painting I gave it a light sanding, with a little extra off in some places for distressing.


Since I had a little paint left over, I mixed it in with my clear wax for the last coat.  I brushed it on and then rubbed it in with a dry tshirt cloth.  The hardware on the front was buried under another board on the inside, so I couldn't take it off.  Oh well, I just painted it and then took a sanding block to it to expose some of the gold.


Now to take care of this large hole in the cabinet!


First I wanted to create a shelf in the bottom so that I could add a basket to hold books and notebooks.  My plan for this piece is for a bible study/prayer spot, so I want all of my items handy!


 I know it is a little hard to see what this is, but all we did was add a ledge to lay a board across. Nothing fancy since the inside of the cabinet is a bit cramped.


Then we added a board to go across.  To able to fit it into the space we also had to cut the corners.


I had this basket sitting in my office for another project, but I couldn't believe it fit so perfectly!  So in it goes!!


Then Husband, the talented, wonderful man that he is, cut a board to fit into our empty spot on the top of the cabinet that was left when we removed the sewing machine.

And now it is time to move it into it's new home! The corner of my bedroom.



I'm feeling really excited to have a designated place to sit quietly with the Lord each day.  


The top opens to reveal my basket full of bible, notebooks, and pencils all nicely hidden away.



I'm super pleased with the results, especially since I really didn't know what I was doing with the chalk paint. Not sure I still did it right, but it seems to have turned out alright!  (I tend not to be very patient with long projects!)

Now I just need to find a cute little chair to go with it!  I'll be on the hunt for that very soon.....




Do you have your own spot for quiet times?

Linking up :


Savvy Southern Style   fridayfavsbasic200x

Feathered Nest Friday
Shabby Art Boutique

4 comments:

  1. What a great repurpose of an old sewing machine cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I appreciate your visit today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, this is my favorite so far. I've been following the Annie Sloan forum on FB and have been so impressed with the pieces I've seen. And, you are so right - the price is out of the roof! You did a great job on this cabinet. Really impressed. Now, what did you do with the machine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! I will check the market on ebay. Thanks for that idea!!

      Delete