I'm warning you ahead of time.....
these photos are AWFUL!
When I was making this lantern this summer, this 31 Days series had never entered my mind. So I really wasn't concentrating on getting step-by-step photos. But it is a project I wanted to share with you....so despite few and bad photos....here we go!
I wanted to make a lantern for the back yard. I had seen a design that I really liked at Pier One, but oooooooh so expensive! I thought.....I can make something like that!
So I set off to Menards to find me some parts! Doesn't everyone shop in the furnace and automotive sections for lantern parts?
Some projects just don't go as planned...and that's ok....I just needed to think it through and come up with something else. These wires were not going to work because the jars were too light weight and the wire wouldn't straighten out. You guys, it was a hot mess!
It just kind of hung out there on the corner of the garage for a few days while I thought of another option. I came up with chain. I found small linked chain that was only about $3.50 for 6 feet. So I switched out the wire for the chain. These were able to attached to the top in the same holes that I had already drilled. I simply opened a link on the end, placed it through the hole, and then pinched it closed with pliers.
I'm pretty happy with the result, even though I wish I had a better photo for you! (Since winter is upon us soon, we've cleaned up all of the summer objects in our back yard.)
The lights were showing up quite nicely, kind of like little lightning bugs in each jar. It hangs on a tree right next to our patio.
Ugh, I can't believe I posted these photos! But I really wanted to share this fun project with you.