Pages

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Dry and Color Hydrangeas - 31 Days of Junque Decor


So I've never tried this before and it scared me to death......dying hydrangeas.  I know, risky business.  Worthy of hours of lost sleep!

I'd read a couple of tutorials and decided to try a little bit of everything that I read.  So you can see a culmination of the techniques I tried.


As you can see, there is a wide variety of colors here.  Some I tried different colors, but some were the same color with different techniques.  So let's get started.

I had allowed my hydrangeas to dry for several weeks before beginning this process.  I just put them in a vase without water and they dried beautifully.  You start with boiling water.  See!  I told you it was scary!  Let me tell you it is hard to plunge a beautiful plant into boiling water!  I used Rit liquid die.  I admit, I didn't really measure, I just poured.



Now don't panic when your stems come out looking like this.  It is a bit alarming, but once the liquid all drains off and they begin to dry, they will fluff back out.


I just hung mine upside-down over a cookie sheet to drip and dry. (Pay no attention to my beautiful 70s kitchen in the background.  We could EASILY win America's ugliest kitchen!)


Here's where I changed my technique.  I wanted to see the difference in the color if I didn't leave the water hot.  So beween batches, I left the die water sit on the stove and it cooled off quite a bit.  When I did next stems, the color was not nearly as vibrant, and the color did not soak in as well, even though I had let them soak for quite a while.  When the water was boiling, it didn't take near as long for the color to saturate.


Once they were done dripping, but still a bit wet, I put them outside on a newspaper to continue drying.

As you can see in this photo, these were done in the same blue water, but turned out very different colors.  The blooms on the right were the ones submerged into boiling water.


These hydrangeas were the kind that dried the lovely lime color, so that of course will make a difference as to how your color turns out.  I also had just a few pink blooms as well.

I have a wide variety of colors represented, but I think it works out beautifully on my front porch.


Give it a try.  It was really fun!!

Linking up today:

Shabby Art Boutique
Feathered Nest Friday

FFButtonresized200

And I am featured this week at Friday Favorites over at Not A Trophy Wife for my Wire Basket Lamp Shade.  Thanks so much Laura!

1 comment:

  1. I love dried hydrangeas. I never thought of dyeing them though. They look amazing!! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete