Pages

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Ceiling Tin Shelf - 31 Days of Junque Decor



In August, I hit the Third Sunday Market in our town.  It's a very large flea market that happens....ou guessed it....the third Sunday of every month April through October.  There are lots of fun finds, but sometimes things can be a bit pricey.

I have always admired ceiling tins.  There are still a few buildings in our downtown that have these lovely architectural treasures, and I always marvel at them.

I was tickled to find a booth that had lots of them to choose from.  I believe I paid $12 for it, which I didn't think was too bad.  I had a vision for it, but it took several weeks to pull it off!



I wanted to frame the tin with pallet wood to give it something substantial to cling to, if you know what I mean!  The edges are in pretty bad shape, very uneven, bent and mangled.


This Swanson Square is very handy when you are measuring and cutting.  REALLY helps to mark a straight line and angles.


I love Ryobi!  Their tools are so versatile and there are several that are small and fit nicely into my woman's hands.  I sanded my sawed edges to get rid of the jagged edges.



Then trying to get these pieces all squared up was a challenge!  Once I was satisfied, I put a little glue in the corners and clamped them together.  After the glue was dry, I added some brads to the edges with a brad nailer.


I wasn't sure how to attach the tin to the wood frame, until I came across upholstery tacks.  They would work perfectly to hold the tin in place and look semi-old!



Then I added a shelf to the bottom.  This photo was taken in my husband's workroom.  It is a wonder of oddities, tools, junk, and stuff you never knew you needed.


At this point in the process I was worried that the tin was a little dull and didn't show all the pretty colors, so I gave it a very light coat of poly to bring out the colors.  I had a perfect spot for my finished work on the wall of our stairwell.  I immediately added my little collections of old bibles and a vase from my grandma.



I'm really happy with the result.

Happy Junking!

3 comments:

  1. How utterly beautiful! You have an artistic eye, for sure. (ps, this is Jerimi. I blog under my middle names, because I like to be able to post without worrying about co-workers finding it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for finding me Jerimi! Nice to meet you on "the board" today! Thanks for the help!!!

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful and very clever. It is a perfect spot for the bible and the vase - which is also adorable.

    ReplyDelete