Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Home Makeover Long Overdue

We've lived in our 100 year old home for about 14 years.  When we first moved in, we spent the ENTIRE summer scraping and painting.  Can you say "nightmare"?  Wow.  What a job that was.  Once we completed that job we swore we would never paint it again until we could afford siding.



Well we stuck to our word, but things had gotten messy.  Our poor neighbors had a really ugly house to stare at for several years while we waited to be able to handle it financially.  For about 12 of those years that we had been in the house, I was a stay-at-home mom.  No extra income there!

The time finally came when we decided to replace the windows and to add siding.  I can not even tell you how excited I was when my husband agreed that we would have someone else install BOTH!  Y'all (I'm not even southern), I love that man with all my heart, but when he works on projects.....well, let's just say.....it isn't usually on my time frame.  So I was giddy with excitement!


I found myself having to be really patient with the mess.  Stuff was EVERYWHERE!  But it takes a lot of equipment and supplies to handle a house this big.  That's Don...he was our contractor and he was a joy to work with.



As we began to see results, we couldn't believe the change!  You know what it is like when you look at something for so long, you no longer see it?  It was kinda like that with the house.  It had looked so bad for so long, that when we began to see it take shape in it's new form.....WOW.  What a difference.


We've had to do lots of painting to change over all the trip from yellow to white.  Honestly, I'm not quite done repainting the inside of the front porch, but it's getting there.  (Can't wait to show you some changes I've made there during my 31 Days of Junque coming in October!)



We are so so happy.  For weeks when I would pull out of the driveway, I would just sit in the street for a few minutes and stare at it!  I couldn't believe after all these years it was finally done.

Well, not completely done.

We do need to replace the roof very soon, but this was so major.  I am so relieved, so happy!  An old house is a challenge, but we do love our house!!

Linking up today:  Home and Garden Thursday at A Delightsome Life

No comments:

Post a Comment